New Legislation In New Jersey Would Allow Recreational Marijuana
Under a new bill introduced this week, recreational marijuana would be legal to be grown, sold and used in the state of New Jersey. The bill was introduced to the state senate on monday.
The bill would permit the possession of up to an ounce of marijuana or up to 16 ounces of marijuana-infused products in solid form. This is also equivalent to 72 ounces of liquid marijuana infused product and up to 7 grams of marijuana concentrate.
The bill would also establish a Division of Marijuana Enforcement to regulate the industry. This proposed legislation would also establish a sales tax on marijuana products from 7 percent to up to 25 percent over the next five years.
The bill’s sponsor, Senator Nicholas Scutari, stated at a news conference that this bill has little chance of being enacted under the current Republican Governor, Chris Christie, who has vocally opposed legalization efforts. Instead, the bill would be the groundwork for the measure he hopes will be enacted by the next governor.
“It is time to end the detrimental effect these archaic laws are having on our residents and our state,” Scutari said.
He used states like Colorado as an example of a successful implementation of recreational marijuana laws. He also called the country’s marijuana prohibition a failure. Scutari hopes this bill will encourage early participation in the legalization of recreational marijuana.
Democratic front-runner Phil Murphy has stated he would support legalization and decriminalization efforts. Other Democrats running for governor, including Jim Johnson, state Sen. Ray Lesniak and Assemblyman John Wisniewski have said they would back legalization as well.
WeedShops.com – Where The Grass Is Always Greener
- New Recreational Marijuana Bill Introduced in Illinois
- Vermont House Gives Final Approval On Recreational Marijuana
- Medical Marijuana In Ohio Is Passed By Lawmakers, Awaits…
- Michigan Launches Marijuana Legalization Ballot Drive
- New Poll Shows 80% of North Carolinians In Favor of Medical…
- Mexico’s Lower House Approves Use of Medical Marijuana
- Tennessee Speaker of the House Looks to Legalize Medical Marijuana
- 11 New Medical Marijuana Businesses Prepare To Open In Baltimore
- Utah Launches Signature Drive for Medical Marijuana Campaign
- New Hampshire Decriminalizes Marijuana Possession
- Guam Signs A New Medical Marijuana Bill Into Law
- Recreational Weed Shops In Nevada Are Running Out Of Weed, Governor Declares ‘State of Emergency’